A servant-leader focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities to which they belong. A servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first, and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible. Dr. Donald Brown is the epitome of a servant leader.
The late Dr. Donald Brown was a dedicated advocate for educational opportunities for Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color. Through his professional positions at Umass Amherst, Boston College, and Azusa Pacific University, he dedicated his adult life to creating educational pathways for youth on the margins. In 1979, Dr. Brown co-created and shepherded the college bridge program at Boston College called the Options Through Education Program. For over forty years, the program supported enrollment and matriculation through Boston College for thousands of students who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or other People of Color.
In addition to his professional work at universities, he dedicated his personal time to creating youth development programs for Black kids. In 1989, Dr. Brown cofounded the Massachusetts chapter of Concerned Black Men with the mission “To Improve the Quality of the Black Community by Reaffirming the Vitality of the Black Male.”
The Dr. Donald Brown Servant Leadership Award is a testament to the legacy of Dr. Brown’s service. The Award is hosted by Concerned Black Men of Los Angeles and funded by the individuals directly or indirectly impacted by Dr. Brown’s leadership.
Our goal is to raise a minimum of $10,000. This amount will ensure the Dr. Donald Brown Servant Leadership Award is fully funded for the next ten years. Drs. Earl and Elianny Edwards are leading the fundraising initiative and have donated the first $2,000 to support the fundraising goal.
$10,000 will provide funds for two scholarships a year for the next 10 years.
$22,500 will provide enough funds for three scholarships a year for the next 15 years.
90% of the funds raised for this award will go directly to the youth stipend. The remaining 10% of the donated amount will go towards the general funds of Concerned Black Men of Los Angeles to support their fantastic programming for and mentoring of Black youth in Los Angeles County.
I feel so honored and grateful to support the legacy of Dr. Donald Brown. Dr. Brown has been a tremendous part of my life even before I ever met him. The unwavering support and empowerment he’s provided my husband throughout the years continue to resonate deeply through the core of our partnership, our careers, and our family. Dr. Brown has faithfully guided us through difficult transitions and celebrated every milestone with genuine love and joy. From him, I learned to live life with a strong sense of purpose and utmost integrity. We are better for ourselves and others because of Dr. Brown.
An absolute legend of a man, responsible for creating what can only be described as one of the largest, most welcoming, caring and loving, educated and most successful student population in all of academia. Thank you, Dr. Brown, for creating a home where all students, regardless of color, race, age, orientation and economic background can gather to collaborate, think, grow, love and learn together. Although lost, you will never be forgotten for the lives you have touched in an absolutely immeasurable way. Thank you, God bless, rest in peace sir.
Every year the Award honors two high school students entering their senior year who, throughout their academic careers, have demonstrated academic excellence and servant leadership. Winners of the Dr. Brown Servant Leadership Award reflect the character and integrity that Dr. Donald Brown showed through his life’s work of service.
Each awardee will receive a $500 stipend in the form of a personalized check from Concerned Black Men of Los Angeles.